Why you should trust us. Our team of expert reviewers spends countless hours researching and comparing products to provide you with the best options for your needs. We fact-check all health claims to ensure they are supported by scientific evidence. To learn more about our thorough editorial process, please read on.
More than their physique or facial features, a lot of men are insecure about their penis size. Whether it’s the length or the girth, they always have something to complain about their appendages.
A plethora of products and procedures are aimed at enlarging the penis. This includes pills, gels, extenders, pumps, and even surgery. But most guys prefer to try natural enhancement methods, like jelqing, because it is non-invasive, and you can do it within the comfort of your bathroom.
What is the proper way of jelqing? And is it really effective? Read on to find out.
Penis Size Anxiety
Before we get to the lowdown on jelqing, let’s talk about the penis first.
An article published in Nature tabulated penile dimensions taken from the findings of 16 distinct studies. These came from various countries and were carried out over different years. Based on the table, these are the average measurements of the male sex organ of humans:
- Flaccid length: 2.8 to 3.9 inches (7 to 10 centimeters)
- Flaccid circumference: 3.5 to 3.9 inches (9 to 10 centimeters)
- Erect length: 4.7 to 6.3 inches (12 to 16 centimeters)
- Erect circumference: 4.7 inches (12 centimeters)
Of course, averages are different in every race. And not all countries have a comprehensive study regarding their male population’s penis size.
But doctors do agree on what’s considered too small. Plastic surgeons recommend penile augmentation with an erect length below 7.5 centimeters (3 inches) or a flaccid length below 4 centimeters (1.6 inches).
Although having a micropenis is not as common as people think, why do guys feel that they’re carrying small packages?
The British Journal of Urology International published a study that revealed that 45 percent of men believed that their boners were inadequately sized. But, in the same study, only 15 percent of women felt that their partner’s penis had an unsatisfactory size and proportion.
Perhaps men are betrayed by their natural point of view. The penis appears smaller when you’re looking down on it from above. You’ll only see how big it actually is when you view it at eye level.
Along with this, there are also unrealistic standards perpetuated in pornography and the persistent marketing of penis-enhancing drugs.
Zavamed, a British website, asked 1,148 males and 973 females from the U.S. and Europe about their perceived and ideal penis length.
The survey showed that the respondents’ ideal penis is at least 2 centimeters longer than its perceived length. It also showed that men are more likely to overestimate penis length than women.
Excessive concern over the size of one’s pecker is called ‘small penis syndrome.’ This anxiety reduces satisfaction during intercourse. It’s common for men to think that their sexual prowess is directly proportional to the size of their “manhood.” But, for women, this may not be as big of a deal.
Of the 375 sexually active women surveyed at the University Hospital Groningen in 2002, only 20% said that penis length is important for sexual functioning. Among the subjects, 1% said it is very important. 55% and 22% felt that is unimportant and totally unimportant, respectively.
Some people think that small penis anxiety is just a trivial condition, but it can really have serious emotional and interpersonal repercussions. If there’s a way to improve your merchandise naturally, then it’s worth a try, right?
Jelqing is an interesting option for those who aren’t committed to going under the knife or spending hundreds of bucks on extenders or pills.
What Is Jelqing?
Jelqing, or penis milking, is a massage technique that aims to improve the size of your erection. It involves squeezing and tugging movements similar to masturbation. Overall, penis enlargement is achieved by stretching the shaft’s skin and engorging the organ with blood.
Although jelqing became a viral trend because of blogs and YouTube tutorials, it’s allegedly an ancient Middle Eastern practice. Fathers would teach it to their sons to prepare them for adulthood and, ultimately, reproduction. It arises from the long-held belief that size is equivalent to masculinity.
There are others who also say that “jelq” is merely an alteration of the term ‘jerk off.’ But, unlike normal masturbation, jelqing isn’t done to achieve orgasm. In fact, the penis must not be fully erect throughout the procedure. You also need to force blood into the penis with a firm, stroking motion. And it may not be a pleasurable experience at all.
Step by Step Guide for Jelqing
To get started, you need to prepare the following:
- A clean, warm towel or washcloth
- Water-based lubricant (oil-based lubricants can clog up the pores and cause friction burns)
The jelqing routine is divided into three stages: the warm-up, the stretching exercise, and the cool-down. An entire session lasts about half an hour.
Here’s a detailed guide you can follow:
- Get in the mood by taking a warm shower. Clean your penis thoroughly to get rid of bacteria and to avoid irritation.
- Stimulate yourself for a while until you are semi-erect (around 30%-50% erect). Your shaft should remain pliant to avoid causing any injury.
- Grab a warm towel, and wrap it around your manhood for about 15 minutes.
- Squirt an ample amount of water-based lube on your hands, and rub it evenly on your penis. During the course of the routine, reapply more lube when it starts to dry out.
- Put together the thumb and forefinger of your right hand to form an “okay” sign. You will be using this grip during the entire exercise. You can either place your palm up and away from your body or position it down and face it towards you.
- Encircle your fingers at the very base of the penis’ shaft.
- With constant pressure, squeeze your shaft from its base down to the underside of your glans (the penis’ head). Glide your fingers gradually, and make the movement last for about 2 to 3 seconds. The grip should be tight enough to restrict the blood from flowing back down.
- Stop once your hand hits the glans, and do the same motion with your left hand for another 3 seconds. Make sure your grip is paced and consistent, otherwise the jelqing won’t work, or the penis might grow disproportionately.
- Repeat this cycle of switching hands for around 50 strokes. If you’re a beginner, try doing the exercise for just 5 minutes. As you practice your grip and get used to the sensation, you can extend the sessions with every passing week. Try doing 100 strokes next time until you’re able to do 500 in one session.
- If you feel pain or discomfort at any time, stop right away. Pause if you also end up getting a full erection. If this happens, slap your penis against your thigh to calm it down.
3. Cool Down
- When you’re finished, grab a towel that’s been soaked in warm water.
- Wrap this around your penis once again, and leave it there for 10 minutes.
If you’ve just started jelqing, do it at least 3 times a week. Much like working out at the gym, better results are achieved with frequency. But keep in mind that you should rest your penis every now and then. For example, if you jelq for 5 days straight, take a day off 1-2 days after. You’ll be able to see some improvements within a few months or weeks depending on how often you practice.
There are also other jelqing techniques that you can try. If you’re up to the challenge, here’s how you can do them:
1. Dry Jelqing
The routine discussed earlier is also known as wet jelqing. Dry jelqing is a bit similar, but this technique puts more focus on the penile shaft. For this exercise, lubrication is not necessary. And you will also need just one hand. The steps are:
- Warm-up with a bath and make your penis semi-erect.
- Do the “okay” sign with your fingers. Grip the base of your shaft and stroke it down to the part where it meets the glans.
- Once you’ve reached the end, contract your pelvic muscles as if holding down your pee.
- Maintain this muscle contraction and glide your hands back to the base of the penis. The stroking motion is similar to masturbation, wherein you use the loose skin around the shaft to move up and down. Note that each movement should be deliberate, lasting for about 3 seconds. Relax your pelvic muscles every time your fingers return to the base. And contract them again at the other end.
- Try doing this for 100 strokes, and gradually increase the repetitions until you’re able to reach 500 strokes.
- When you’re done, follow the cool-down routine.
2. Stretched Jelqing
This time around, you’ll need your two hands. But the stroking motion is no different than what’s used in wet jelqing and dry jelqing. You’ll also need a lubricant. Stretched jelqing goes like this:
- Do the warm-up exercise.
- Lube up your manhood.
- Slightly stretch your semi-erect penis by squeezing the glans with one hand. Maintain this position during the whole session.
- With your other hand, perform the jelqing stroke. Start at the base of your penis, and release the grip as your hands meet. Repeat this motion with your stroking hand for at least 200 times daily. Increase the number of strokes with each session.
- Cool down.
3. Jelqing with a Partner
To spice things up, you can invite a partner to help you jelq. You can take turns stroking your penis. It’s guaranteed to be a pretty interesting experience for both of you.
If you’re doing it with a partner, make sure to let her know how tight the grip needs to be. Cry out if she’s squeezing it too hard to prevent further injury. Keeping your erection under control is also quite challenging with another person around.
Does Jelqing Really Work?
Claims that support the effectiveness of jelqing are mostly anecdotal. Several men in online forums swear that there’s a significant improvement in their penile dimensions after weeks of jelqing. But medical experts beg to differ. So far, there’s not one scientific study that backs this up.
It all boils down to anatomy. The penis is not a muscle, but an organ. No amount of exercise can enlarge the penis permanently. The size of an erection is pre-determined by the length and girth of the corpora cavernosa tubes (which make up the shaft). If these tubes were stretched, then erections wouldn’t be fully firm. Exercises like jelqing can only increase the blood flow inside the penis’ arteries.
Vigorous stroking does more damage than good. Dr. Seth Cohen, a urologist at NYU Langone Medical Center, says that jelqing can desensitize the penis. Constantly tugging your dick harms the nerve fibers that line its skin. These nerves are responsible for sending pleasurable sensations to your brain. Aside from that, aggressive rubbing also causes irritation and blood vessel tears. The sudden rush of blood leads to bruising and itchy blood spots.
Doctors have also noticed that jelqing increases a man’s risk of developing Peyronie’s Disease. This condition happens when fibrous plaque forms between the penis’ tissues. It causes the penis to bend in an awkward way. The fibrous plaque will feel like dents and bumps, which are often painful.
Because of the safety risks involved with jelqing, it’s good to consult a physician before trying it for yourself. They can help you cope with your small penis anxiety, and give you a more viable treatment option.
Loving Your Penis
Men who are insecure about their penises are usually looking to improve their libido or sexual performance. Jelqing can’t help you with that. What you really need to nurture is your confidence.
At the end of the day, it’s really not about the size, but the performance.
Even Kama Sutra, the renowned sex manual, advocates that there’s no such thing as ideal penis size.
It classifies the male genitals into three different categories: the horse (large), the bull (medium), and the hare (small). To achieve sexual pleasure, one only needs to find a compatible partner.
A horse male should be paired with an elephant female, while bulls should partner with mares, and hares with deer.
In real life, you just need to find that person who appreciates every bit of you. And, maybe, you won’t go through all that trouble to change what you’re blessed with.
If you like this article, feel free to share it with your friends. You are also free to post your comments below.